Tuesday 26 February 2008

Fairtrade Fortnight Day Five

Today was another mission to supermarkets!
I was in search of the listed Balance Foods Fairtrade Organic Rice Drink, and had been to my closest reasonably sized Tescos. They didn't have it, but I asked them to phone the bigger Tescos on the edge of town. They confirmed they had it in stock, and had another delivery coming in, so they'd definately have it if I went in soon. So I waited for a bus, in the cold, for an hour! Finally gave up and got a taxi with another guy also waiting for the bus. Got to Tescos and discovered I'd been misled! No Fairtrade Rice Drink, and in fact they'd never even heard of it! Not sure what went wrong there. However I did manage to get a few other things, including a wonderfully ripe Avocado, and various spices: ginger, black pepper, tumeric, and cloves. I also bought some honey and jam, things you can get in a lot of places, but until I found the ricecakes, I didn't have anything to put them on!

I went to Sainsburys as well, in search of brazil nut oil. I didn't find it though, so that's an adventure for another day. I did however treat myself to a latte and a chocolate brownie at the cafe before venturing back out into the cold!

For breakfast I had muesli and yoghurt again, with some coffee I shared with my housemate. He got to have milk in his though. I've decided to make my own soy milk... I'll report back on how that goes.

Lunch was rice cakes and bananas and was actually really nice! I also bought some orange juice from my students union shop.

Dinner was my left over 'red dragon pie'. But with the addition of a fair amount of black pepper, I really enjoyed it! I also had some of my new ripe avocado on rice cakes and that was also very yummy.

After reading somewhere about Fairtrade man trying to make quinoa flour, I decided to have a go. I spent my evening listening to lectures from podcasts and grinding quinoa! So far I've made about 10g! I'll get there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Go Donna!

I love this blog! You know you're actually doing far better than me and Fairtrade Woman are with experimenting too. The Red Dragon Pie sounds properly ace!

I did the same as you for breakfast with the museli, and we've got a stash of co-op yoghurts in the fridge at work, but like yours they are starting to run low too. Have you tried ringing the coop to say you're promoting their products by blogging about them? They might actually send you a load for free or arrange for them to be sent to your local store!

Richard (Fairtrade Woman's sidekick).x